Right now, it’s Friday afternoon and as I write this, I’m sort of amazed I haven’t fallen apart yet. I know I’m made out of some pretty strong stuff, but I will.
And it will, I know that. I had a huge health scare two years ago, so this isn’t my first rodeo. I’m well acquainted with those days when you don’t want to make the phone calls or think about the diagnosis or surgery or treatment or make plans to fetch your health records for your next appointment or even think about how and if and when you’re going to be covered financially for all of the stuff that needs to be done so you can be a healthy, whole person again.
I’m also certain that along the way I’ll accumulate 27 8 x 10 glossy pictures with photos and arrows and paragraphs on the back of each one to be used by my doctors along the way.
But, all of those visits and decisions and running around to and fro happens next week and not this weekend. I plan on taking a lot of naps.
I probably won’t post over the weekend, so I’ll leave you with something from Nigella’s “Express” cookbook. You can put over your ice cream, or eat it out of a jar with a spoon. Whatever…it’s delish.
- 3/4 cup of heavy cream
- 4 oz. of milk or semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup of smooth peanut butter
- 3 Tbps of golden syrup (Lyle’s, if you can find it) or light corn syrup
- a tinytinytiny pinch of sea salt
- Warm up the cream in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan and let it bubble a little bit. Add the chocolate and stir with a whisk until the chocolate’s melted…don’t let the mixture boil.
- Add the peanut butter, syrup and salt and keep stirring until it’s smooth. Take it off the heat, give it a good stir and let it cool.
Pour it over ice cream or your fingers or whatever you’d like! And, if you let it harden up in the fridge, these make the most amazing chocolate peanut butter truffles.
Have a great weekend, everyone!